Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's Not Easy Being Green


Well, the last few days I have spent being sick. It is likely the same yucky bug my kids had last week and it gives me renewed sensitivity to what it is like to be sick. I hate feeling soggy, nauseous and tired. It reminds me of being pregnant. At least this time I can rest easy knowing it will be over in a few days instead of most of a year! Can you imagine being terminally ill? What a difficult road that must be to go down - and it must feel so lonely. I am so grateful to have good health overall.

I recently read "the Last Lecture" so of course being sick makes me recall the things Mr. Pausch went through and I have to ask myself, "have I completed any of my childhood dreams?" The answer - not too many. My biggest childhood dream was to become a famous singer. Now I hardly have any room in my life for singing. My kids come first right now and music is an all or nothing type of pursuit if you want to go big time. So for now that is not going to happen. I did record and album a couple of years ago - 20 copies. My three year old loves it and my husband listens to it from time to time. That's almost as much use as it has had. Matt would like me to record another album - for real this time - not just an hour in a studio with myself and the studio guy. Ahhh - where to find the time, money and the musicians?

Okay so I could count being a mom a completed dream. Oh and owning a house I love. I was always a bit embarrassed by my parents home so it was a big deal to me to get a house I could be proud of. We completely remodeled our current home and I did much of the design work, almost all of the painting and a lot of the tiling. So I am pretty proud of it. I often walk around and think - "wow, I love our house."

I can't think of what my other dreams even where right now. I guess I will have to finish this little task later since the 13 month old is dismantling my kitchen cabinets!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Rachel,

I love you. My greatest dream was to marry someone I loved more than anything. I have that and could not ask for anything more. You are a wonderful person and wife. I am enjoying reading your blog.

Love, Matt