Saturday, January 17, 2009

Hard lesson learned

Well, I have been through a bit of a week. I have realized the hard way that helping someone isn't always what you think it is. I have been doing what I thought was a good deed for someone for two and a half years, only to be thrown to the curb by one of the recipients. It's a little like one of those stories where someone tries to help someone out only to have the person turn around and sue them.

I guess what I have learned is that if I choose to do something for someone else (even if they ask for it) not to expect ANYTHING in return. Not even a "thank you." I am determined not to let this experience taint my view of mankind in general or to persuade me not to help someone in the future. I just have to do good for the sake of doing good, not for anything else.

I have learned that I cannot force someone to see things the way I see them. I have learned that I cannot make someone responsible for their actions, they have to take responsibility. I only have power over me. Why I would think otherwise I guess is a good question. Learning isn't always fun...

No comments: