Friday, December 5, 2008

An uneventful day

I keep putting off posting for lack of something interesting to say. I have realized that most of my days are uninteresting and that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I am blessed enough to not have any major disturbances in my life and that is a great thing. My days come and go and mostly I do the same things. The differences from day to day are small. However some of those small things are my big things as well. For example: the things my kids do day to day may seem small but they are literally changing right before my eyes. They will be big things in the big picture of my life.

Today I took three kids to the mall to finish up some Christmas shopping. We walked around, found a few items and stood in a long line to make my purchases. While we were waiting my three year old saw some big red dots on the floor that he decided were for jumping on. It was very cute watching him jump and giggle... A woman behind me told me how she actually misses having her children around all the time, even shopping, now that they are grown. When it was finally my turn to pay, my 13 month old pulled a glass jar off of a shelf from his stroller (and here I was worried about the jumping 3 year old) of course it shattered all over the floor. The woman behing me then kindly said, "that part I don't miss so much...we've all been there though." I can already see that even though right now it seems like it will be ages before my kids are big, that I will miss the stages they are in now.

I love being the big thing in their life right now. I am important to them, and even the little things I do matter to them. I'm sure it won't matter too much to them wether or not I go to the gym in a couple of years so I guess for now it's nice that they care. I love watching them play and hearing them talk and giggle. I love having them mess up my stuff and get in my way. I love that they are my little, big things in life.

2 comments:

Kelly A. said...

HI Rachel! We found your blog!! Can't hide for long in the world wide web! :) I enjoyed reading your posts! You are amazing in so many ways! Do you mind if I keep reading this blog? And if I link you to my blog so I can see when you make new posts? We're excited to see you this weekend!!

Tim Anderson said...

Rachel, I am really happy I found your blog. Reading your words makes me realize that I don't know you all that well. You are really a very amazing person and Kelly and I look up to you and Matt as model parents. I hope you keep writing and I hope that just because your little brother is reading your words, you wont change what you write or how you write it. I love you, Tim...