Monday, September 3, 2012

Stop It!

I want to be clear that I do not judge anyone for going through with the prescribed cancer treatments of cut, poison, burn.  I know as well as anyone that what works for one person may not work for another.  I totally support those who do what they feel is best, WHATEVER that may be.  Even someone my exact age, with the exact same qualities of cancer that I have, will have a different experience than what I am having.  I fully support and respect women with breast cancer who choose to take a different path. 

I was recently reading a forum on breastcancer.org and was sad to read negative comments directed at women who made different choices.  Women were berated for their choice of Doctor, their choice of reconstruction and definitely the choice of natural treatments.  How sad is that!  We should be a team willing to work together to support each other since we of all people should know how much it is needed.

I love a quote from a talk Elder Uchtdorf gave on mercy.  Speaking of what we should do when we find ourselves judging others he said,

"Stop it!"
 
"It’s that simple. We simply have to stop judging others and replace judgmental thoughts and feelings with a heart full of love for God and His children. God is our Father. We are His children. We are all brothers and sisters. I don’t know exactly how to articulate this point of not judging others with sufficient eloquence, passion, and persuasion to make it stick. I can quote scripture, I can try to expound doctrine, and I will even quote a bumper sticker I recently saw. It was attached to the back of a car whose driver appeared to be a little rough around the edges, but the words on the sticker taught an insightful lesson. It read, “Don’t judge me because I sin differently than you.”
We must recognize that we are all imperfect—that we are beggars before God. Haven’t we all, at one time or another, meekly approached the mercy seat and pleaded for grace? Haven’t we wished with all the energy of our souls for mercy—to be forgiven for the mistakes we have made and the sins we have committed?
Because we all depend on the mercy of God, how can we deny to others any measure of the grace we so desperately desire for ourselves? My beloved brothers and sisters, should we not forgive as we wish to be forgiven?"
 
Wouldn't the world be a better place if, when we found ourselves thinking ill of someone else for whatever reason, we would just "Stop It!"?

No comments: