Thursday, August 23, 2012

A blessing called Crossfit IOTA

Two weeks after the loss of our baby I was frustrated at my bodies inability to carry our son.  I was angry and needed an outlet.  A friend introduced me to CrossFit and after a couple of brutal workouts I was hooked!  It was just what I needed to give me something to think about, something for me to physically do that I could control, and a new group of friends to support me.

Every workout is an opportunity to push myself more than I think I can be pushed.  It is a chance to see something that looks unattainable, but to try anyway and then every day to succeed.  Okay, so I don't break any records and I barely survive, but I do it.  I feel so empowered when I pick up a barbell and lift it over my head.  When I want to quit I can push through, powered by my frustration at life.  Then, instead of being a negative thing, my emotions become my catalyst.  I can't change that my baby died.  I can't change or control what other things life chooses to throw my way, but every day I can control whether or not I push my body to do one more rep than I think I can.  It's simple but powerful.  It makes me realize that I can stick with it and do something amazing, even if it only lasts six minutes.

Fast forward through some interesting months where I lost my driver's license (injustly of course), took an amazing trip with my husband, and generally tried to work through the grieving process...and I continued to enjoy the challenge of CrossFit.

The first Friday in April we did a particularly challenging workout.  I can't remember what the workout was called now, but it was one with 100 pull ups.  I went home with shaky arms.  My chest and arms ached and that night and as I was kneading my sore muscles I noticed some lumps that felt odd.  They were on the left side and not on the right; that was the part that concerned me.  On Monday morning I called the Dr.and scheduled an appointment.  He called the lumps suspicious and sent me for a mammogram.  The Radiologist saw not lumps on the mammogram but lots of clusters of "micro-calcifications."  The lumps were too far out near my armpit to show up on the mammogram but they did show up on ultrasound.  Again, both things were "suspicious", and "concerning" so I was sent for some biopsies.

Waiting is the name of the game with Breast Cancer I have decided.  Everything is hurry and schedule appointments and then wait for tests, wait for test results, wait for decisions.  It wasn't until about the 18th of April that I got confirmation that yes, I have two types of Breast Cancer. Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and Ductal Carcinoma In Situ.

Thank goodness for CrossFit!  If I hadn't been so sore from that workout, I most likely wouldn't have noticed those lumps for some time to come.  Not only was I improving my health through excercise, it most likely saved my life, Amazing!  My current life calls so this will be continued later...

No comments: